Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Opportunity

Eph. 5:16 (NIV)
making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

The New King James translates this "Redeeming the time" which is the more literal and thus better translation of this verse from the original text. I draw attention to it for a couple of reasons. 1. The NKJV is our standard text at CBC because it is the best modern "literal" text. It uses a word for word translation rather than a thought for thought. This verse is a good example of that. I often will use the NIV, but it draws criticism for this trait. 2. I use this verse today to show that the NIV does give us some good thoughts. Translating the thought of redeeming the time as making the most of every opportunity is a good one. I have come to learn in the last few weeks that I often don't even recognize opportunity. In truth opportunity seldom knocks, it just quietly waits outside the door for us to look through the peep hole and see it standing there on the porch. Today, I will concentrate myself to heighten my awareness of opportunities knowing that the days are evil.

No comments: