Friday, June 15, 2007

Love

Eph. 4:15 (NIV)
speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.

Dobson defines love as the attitude of self sacrifice to meet the needs of the cherished person. Love is a strange and often misunderstood emotion, and for me that has led to being very cautious with it as a term. In some ways we misuse the term and remove all meaning by saying that we love football, Apple pie and action movies. In other ways we fail to use the term enough. However, recently I determined to tell people that I love them. I want them to know that they are cherished and that I have an attitude of self sacrifice to prove it. We need to stop being so silent with our love and let our words match our feelings. To say "I love you" at inappropriate times and to people outside our family. It should be okay for me to tell another man that I love him and to tell another man's wife that I love her too. I should not withhold that knowledge from my kids or my wife or from you. So here goes. Dear devotional reader for today, I love you. I really do. and by that I mean that you are valued, cherished even; my attitude is that I will sacrifice my self to meet your needs as Christ gives me the ability. Now it is your turn... try saying I love you to someone at an inappropriate time. It is fun. They feel all awkward at first, but soon realize that they are truly loved, and love... is the most powerful emotion on earth!


Editor's note: The picture is from one of my favorite children's books "Guess how much I love you" Ask me the next time we meet and I will tell you.

No comments: