Monday, July 16, 2007

Receive

Prov. 2:1 (NKJV)
My son, if you receive my words, And treasure my commands within you,

Many of the Proverbs are written using a reflexive poetic style where a phrase is repeated thought for thought but not word for word. Solomon displays for us that sometimes we need to be reminded of truth. This very simple verse is setting the stage for the upcoming promise of 2:5. "Then you will understand the fear of the Lord." This is a conditional promise made on the basis of the previous "if" statements, and the first of those is the one we apply today. To receive my words. The challenge before us today is not just to hear the word of the Lord, but to take it with us. Not to just be hearers, but doers. As a pastor, it is my goal each week to use creativity and story telling to help people carry the truth of God's word home. In some way I believe that Solomon's use of poetry carries the same goal. What good would it be to sit under the greatest teacher of all time, and leave class empty minded as before. Today I will treasure this thought and keep God's word in its rightful place in my life.

No comments: