Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Believed

Eph. 1:13 (NKJV)
In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise

There is a sense in today's language that to believe is to give mental assent to somethings existence. Example: "I believe in aliens" or "I believe in the Loch Ness Monster;" Now, one's belief in their existence has no bearing on life, or otherwise. The vast majority of people will give this sort of mental assent to the existence of God. The same can be true if they were asked about their view of Jesus Christ, but is that enough? Is it enough to give God the mental nod. That our mere acknowledgement of His existence would grant us His favor and eternal salvation. Let me give you a personal example. I believe in Wachovia Bank. I also believe in Bank of America. Now, It is true that I am a believer in both, no one in their right mind would deny their existence. However, my belief in Bank of America goes further in that I have placed all my earnings and savings into their hands. I have a different type of belief. One that has moved from mere assent, to faith and trust. Where are you at with God today? Are you willing to just accept his existence, or are you going to open an account and deposit all your sins, all your guilt, and all your fears.

No comments: